Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Take a Chance by Micalea Smeltzer


Take a Chance by Micalea Smeltzer

I had life all figured out.

Married with a baby on the way I stupidly believed that things were perfect.

But then the good guy I fell in love with turned out to not be as good as I thought.

I was left alone to pick up the pieces of my life and provide for my daughter.

And then I met him.
Hayes.
The bad boy that just might not be so bad.

Three years after her husband walked out on her Arden James is struggling to make ends meet as a single mom. Despite it all, she knows she’s better off with her ex out of the picture, and so is her daughter.

Josh Hayes—player, jokester, and very naughty boy—is the guitar player for the band Willow Creek. He’s used to living the fast life, but suddenly it doesn’t appeal to him anymore, and he has his sights set on the fiery Arden. 

Despite their undeniable chemistry, Arden isn’t sure she wants to invite a man into her life that has never been in a committed relationship before. But Hayes is determined to prove to her that there’s more to him than meets the eye. He just needs Arden to take a chance.


     This was a really bittersweet book for me, because while I was so exciting for Hayes and Arden, I was sad since this is the last book in the series. These books have released pretty close to each other, so I never really forgot the magic from the last books, which made this series so much better than a lot of other ones. And luckily this book is incredible, so the series finishes off with a worthy happily ever after. 

     Arden and Hayes intrigued me since the last book. There were already things that I loved about them just from those little scenes. And that love for them just grew even more in this book. Both of them are such fun and likable characters to read about. Arden was the most realistic in how she acted throughout the book. She was shy and scared, understandably, but didn’t fight her feelings more than necessary. She didn’t cause unnecessary drama and was very pleasant to read about. Likewise, Hayes was a lot of fun, but not too over the top. He had his childish and goofy moments, but he knew when to be serious and how to show his love for Arden. There was actually nothing wrong with him. So obviously characters so fantastic were amazing together. I loved how Hayes pursued Arden and how their relationship developed and that trust grew stronger. Out of all the Willow Creek couples, I have to say Hayes and Arden are now my favorite.


     Mia was probably one of the best aspects of this book. I just wanted to give her a big hug and have a tea party with her. She was so cute and I loved her relationship with Hayes, and obviously Arden. Mia added so much to story in every aspect and I’m so glad Micalea Smeltzer gave her such a significant role. She adds the little extra special that the others books don’t have. 


    The story in general was pretty good. As to be expected, there was a lot of focus on Hayes and Arden’s relationship, so a lot of the events in the book are background to that. One thing that I did like, although horrible, the main conflict of the book wasn’t what usually happens. And that aspect took away a lot of unnecessary drama that would have dragged the story down. This plot line, like the characters, was realistic enough considering Hayes is a famous musician. 


    If you don’t know this about my reviews, when I really like a book, my thoughts and reviews don’t make sense and are a huge jumble since I’m usually still in awe of what I’ve just read. So to sum it up really quickly, the characters were incredible. The story line was fantastic. The book was perfect. This series is now one of my favorites. So go buy this book, or the first book, or wherever you are in the series and clear your schedule. And if you’re hesitating, take a chance.






Links:







Micalea Smeltzer is a bestselling Young and New Adult author from Winchester, Virginia. She’s always working on her next book, and when she has spare time she loves to read and spend time with her family.