Saturday, June 27, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A thrilling, seductive new series from New York Timesbestselling author Sarah J. Maas, blending Beauty and the Beast with faerie lore.

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!

☆ (☆)

     I don’t usually review fantasy books because I rarely find one that I really enjoy. For me, a fantasy novel is supposed to take you to a whole other world that is full of everything that doesn’t exist. After browsing, I found this book and since it had nothing but good reviews, I decided to read it. And I am happy to report that I did enjoyed this book. It was very entertaining, had a great cast of characters, and the story line was from another world (pun). 

     Feyre was a very strong female lead and I admired her. From the beginning, she proved to be a dynamic character in the ways she took care of her family. As the story progressed, so did Feyre, and we were able to see all the different sides of her. She wasn’t careless and stupid, but followed her gut. When she was scared out of her mind, she still kept her sass and attitude. When she was with Tamlin, she let herself be another teenage girl in love. Sarah J. Maas did an excellent job developing Feyre and it did contribute to the overall excellence of the book.

     Tamlin’s character actually did remind me a lot of the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. He was brooding, thoughtful, and intimidating at first glance, but when he was around Lucien or Feyre, his gentle and more down to earth personality came out. The chemistry between Feyre and Tamlin was very apparent and I loved how their relationship progressed. I didn’t think anything could break their bond until the ending with Rhysand. I have no idea what’s going to happen going forward, but I am excited to read about it.

     The story itself was also very well written along. As the reader, we find out everything at the same time Feyre does. So all the confusing bits to her and us become clear all at the same time. There was nothing that we knew from another scene that Feyre didn’t or vice versa, so it really was like we were in the world of faeries. Sarah J. Maas did a fantastic job adding in the little scenes that brought out all the emotions, making the book a lot more lively.

     Overall, this was a great fantasy book and I recommend it to anyone who wants to escape to another world or is just starting to venture into the fantasy genre. I will absolutely be reading the second book when it comes out and I can't wait.


Links:


xxo,
A