Monday, May 4, 2015

Clipped by Love by Toni Aleo





Clipped by Love by Toni Aleo

Things are heating up for the Sinclair boys! With one already in the NHL, Jayden Sinclair is hoping to be next! 

This has been the toughest year of my life. I watched my brother go into the draft without me, my mom got divorced, and the weight of my family’s issues is heavy on my shoulders. I feel like it’s my job to fix everything while working my butt off in school and trying to make my game better. I have to go into the draft. It will give my family the support they need, and it will prove that I’m good enough. But to get there, I have to show I can be the best captain for the Bellevue Bullies. The spot is mine—no one can take it. First though, Jude is making me go on a brother’s weekend. Innocent enough, I guess…until I see her. She’s the biggest competitor I’ve ever faced. Not only for my spot but also my heart. It’s hard to ignore someone like Baylor Moore. 

I don’t lose. I can’t. My dad has bred me to be the best in anything I do. I am driven, I am smart, and I am going to be the first woman in the National Hockey League. No two ways about it. I’ve worked too hard. I’ve been through too much not to have what I want. I know I can do it. I will make my dad proud, and no one will stand in the way of that. That is, until I let him in. He scares me. He makes me feel. And he could very well be the one person who can make me want more than just to win. 

We both have the same goal. Victory. But how do you compete against the person you want to win? It’s not easy. Love isn’t something you can control. It isn’t like a puck that can be handled by a stick. No, it has a mind of its own and does what it wants. 

Neither of us saw it coming, and we really don’t know if there is a way to score, especially when you’re being Clipped by Love.




     Now I don't give out five stars very often. But this book deserved all the stars. Aside from Taking Shots, this is probably my favorite book by Toni Aleo. It doesn't matter if you're a sports person or not, this book is one you do not want to miss.

     Baylor is my queen. Her sass and confidence is literally my favorite thing about her just because those are two things I believe every woman should have. And it's easy to have sass, but to have  the amount of confidence that Baylor had in herself isn't easy to get, and that inspires me. She is in a situation where not many people expect her to succeed. Not many people think that she belongs there. But despite everything she faces, she believes in herself, and after a while, starts to believe in love and Jayden. And I just think that's beautiful.

    And Jayden is such a gentleman. Even with all the swearing, he was such a good guy. He was a great team member, a great brother, and the perfect match for Baylor. It was incredible to read the story from his point of view, because it was so different from 99% of male leads I read about. Even when dealing with all his issues, his personality stayed consistent. But the respect he had for Baylor is what sealed the deal. 

    From the first hockey game between Baylor and Jayden, I knew that these two were going to be electric. With the banter (or foreplay) between the two, it was obvious there were sparks that were about to fuel the rest of this book. And I was right. The two of them just connected, and everytime they talked or did anything together, the love just grew. Obviously there were challenges that the two of them had to face and there were moments where I was very frustrated with one character, but as Shea Adler says, "The best love is the one you fight for,". And that's exactly what Baylor and Jayden did.

     I loved all the minor characters in this book. Of course I loved the brief reunion with Jude and Claire, but even more than that, I loved Jace and Markus. They were the best best friends to both Baylor and Jayden and I hope that both of them get their own happy endings. 

     Overall, I loved it. I really really loved this story and I recommend it to the whole world.

Links:


xxo,
A