Sunday, July 20, 2014

Beauty in the Ashes

Beauty in the Ashes by Micalea Smeltzer

Standalone Dark Contemporary Romance 
Some stories are a fairytale...but this isn't one. 

Caelan Gregory’s life fell apart the night he went home and opened the door to find his whole family murdered. Since then, his life has held no meaning. He’s angry. He’s bitter. He’s barely human anymore. There’s nothing left to remind him of the straight A student, and football quarterback he once was…but he wasn’t a good person then, and he’s certainly not a good person now. He’s retreated into a world where all that exists is numbness and his passion for painting. 

When Sutton Hale moves into the apartment across the hall from Caelan she’s not prepared for her reaction to him. Something in his broken blue eyes calls to her—after all she’s always had an irrational need to fix everything. 

But Caelan doesn’t do relationships or feelings. He does drugs and alcohol. However, he can’t ignore his desire to get to know the raven-haired woman across the hall. 

Two broken souls trying to mend one another. 

But not everything can be fixed. 
  
In the end, Caelan and Sutton will have to learn that there is beauty in the ashes.


Let me just start this review off by saying, I have never read a book like this and nor do I ever want to. Anything I predicted would happen, didn't. I wish I had payed more attention to the description, because its all there. This is not a fairytale romance and it really is a dark contemporary romance.

I went into this book expecting a romance of two people with broken pasts who fight and resist, but eventually come together and fall in love. It was not even close to that. This is  more on the dark side than the sweet romantic side. The main focus is on Caelan and Sutton's demons and how together they attempt to live and conquer them. And this really does take over the entire book. Your heart will be breaking for these characters at many different parts throughout the book all the way to the epilogue. You won't be able to predict what's going to happen and you really will be experiencing this story along side the characters. Micalea Smeltzer did an excellent job capturing the emotion and the darkness that was needed in this story.

Caelan and Sutton were phenomenally written characters and they really could not have been written any better. Their stories were indescribable and I can't even imagine their pain. It was heartbreaking. That is the only word I can use to describe it. I have never read a character similar to Caelan's and I will always remember him.

Caelan and Sutton's relationship throughout the entire book was the title. It was beauty in the ashes. There really isn't anything else to say about it.

This brings us to my biggest issue with this book. The ending. I was cringing the entire time while reading it and no matter how many ways I try looking at it, it just doesn't work for me. After being so emotionally invested in these two characters, throwing in a third one who everyone thought was gone, is not cool. After the Romeo and Juliet moment, Memphis was not supposed to jump back in. Any positive feelings I had towards this book, went away after that. To not give any more spoilers away, if you read this book, read it with an open mind and not with a planned out story line.

This book will meet your expectations and exceed it, but I would not recommend it to anyone who can't handle a dark romance. I know that I will never be able to read this book again.  Reading it one time was more than enough.

But the cover is gorgeous.


The 4 stars are for the book itself in its genre.
The 2 stars are based on my own feelings despite the genre.



Links:



xxo,
A