Thursday, March 13, 2014

What Catches the Eye?

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Everyone has heard this. Teachers tell students this, parents tell their kids this, you hear it all the time. But the truth is that people like attractive things. May it be humans, food, clothing, and even book covers. We all do judge based on appearances. And I do admit that I am one of these people. I judge books by their cover.
 
                               
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Look at that cover. It has a dramatic city scape with a storm in the background and a burning symbol right in the center. It has its catch phrase on the top and everything about it is planned out perfectly. The cover makes you want to pick it up and learn more about it. The cover draws you in.


And look at that. If you're wondering what this is, it's a quick "book cover" that I typed up on Microsoft Word and took a screen shot of. If you see this in the library next to the actual Divergent cover above it, which one are you going to pick up? A well designed one that hints what the story will be about, or a plain one which gives you the assumption that it's a history textbook?

The cover matters. And most authors realize this and do spend time making their book cover look attractive and have something that relates to the story. Romance books usually have a picture of a couple. Horror novels will have a spooky looking cover. It's all in the appeal. For me, the cover should look so good that I just have to pick it up but it shouldn't be too cheesy.

I'm sure that I have walked past so many amazing books just because the book cover didn't appeal to me. This could be because I am just that picky and most people probably don't judge as I do, but either way, I think that an author should spend time designing a cover that people will want to have on their bookshelves.

Below are some of my favorite book covers from some truly amazing books:




I do apologize if you did not like this post or if you did not agree with it. I will be posting some reviews later. I had this idea and wanted to get it out.

xxo,
A


Books Mentioned:
Divergent by Veronica Roth
A Million Suns Beth Ravis
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler